edUi 2017 will take place at a variety of venues on the scenic pedestrian mall in downtown Charlottesville, Virginia (view map).
Live Arts: Conference Central
Our anchor venue is the Live Arts Theater located at 123 East Water Street. Most breakout sessions and workshops will take place here.
Jefferson Theater: Keynotes
The Jefferson Theater is a live performance theater that hosts national and regional musical acts during the evening. During edUi, the Jefferson will host all our keynote presentations.
Old Metropolitan: Breakouts
The Old Metropolitan is a beautifully restored historic event and wedding venue. This will be used for additional breakout space during edUi.
CitySpace is a city-owned meeting space managed by Piedmont Council for the Arts. One of our 3 post-conference workshops will all take place here.
Rooms are available at two nearby hotels for a special conference rate of $179/night. Both hotels are an easy walk from edUi conference central.
Residence Inn – King suite w/ kitchen, includes complimentary wifi, free parking, free hot breakfast, and a free airport shuttle. Located across the street from the downtown mall and an easy walk to conference central.
Omni Hotel – Free wifi (for Omni Select members), free parking, and a seven-story glassed-in atrium. Located adjacent to the downtown mall.
Other Local Hotels
These hotels are located about a mile from our conference venues. You’ll probably need to take a cab or catch the free trolley.
All of the venues we are using for edUi are wheelchair accessible, but please be aware that they are:
- spread out over a few city blocks; and
- located on a pedestrian mall—so you should not encounter curbs and will only encounter minimal traffic—but will need to navigate brick walkways.
There will be ample time between sessions to travel between the venues.
We suggest you fly into Charlottesville Albemarle Airport (CHO). If you are staying at Residence Inn, a complimentary airport shuttle may be available (contact the hotel for details). If staying at the Omni you will need to take a cab. Plan on cab fare of about $25 each way.
Amtrak serves Charlottesville with a station (CVS) located at 810 West Main Street. The station is approximately 1/2 mile from the conference hotels. Walking (especially with luggage) is not recommended. We suggest taking a cab or catching the Charlottesville Free Trolley, which runs approximately every 15 minutes.
We recommend edUi attendees park at the Omni hotel. We will have a limited number of free parking passes for the Omni at edUi info table for day trippers available on a first-come, first-served basis. Otherwise parking is $12/day. (Parking is complimentary for hotel guests at both the Omni and Residence Inn.)
- Omni Hotel [recommended] Limited free parking for edUi attendeess w/voucher (see edUi info table). $12 per day otherwise.
- The Water Street garage (closest to edUi Conference Central: Live Arts) is $16 per day
- The Market Street garage (closest to our workshop venue: CitySpace) is $20 per day.
- Metered Parking – Coin operated, between Water Street and South Street.
*Rates as of Sept. 2016
Map of edUi Charlottesville Venues
View edUi Venues in a larger map.
Other Local Attractions
- Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
- University of Virginia
- Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection
- Fralin Museum of Art
- Ash Lawn Highland – Home of James Monroe
- Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society