edUi 2016 will take place at 3 venues on the scenic pedestrian mall in downtown Charlottesville, Virginia (view map).
Conference Central: Live Arts
Our anchor venue is the Live Arts Theater located at 123 East Water Street. Live Arts is a volunteer theater that has given a home to drama, dance, comedy, music and performance art in Charlottesville since 1990. The building was completely remodeled in 2014 and features stunning modern architecture and 3 separate theater spaces.
Live Arts will serve as conference central for edUi: all our breakout sessions will take place here, as well as the conference information desk and check-in.
The Jefferson Theater is a live performance theater that hosts national and regional musical acts during the evening. During edUi, the Jefferson will host our opening plenary and all keynote presentations.
CitySpace is a city-owned meeting space managed by Piedmont Council for the Arts. Our 3 workshops will all take place in this space at various times throughout the conference.
Rooms will be available in a conference block at the Omni Hotel Charlottesville for $199/night.
The room block will open for booking in May.
Other Local Hotels
These hotels are located about a mile from our conference venues. You’ll probably need to take a cab or catch the free trolley.
- Hampton Inn and Suites (from $179)
- Courtyard Marriott (from $189)
- Graduate Charlottesville (from $129)
* Pricing as of 11/2/2015
All of the venues we are using for edUi are wheelchair accessible, but please be aware that they are:
- spread out over a few city blocks; and
- located on a pedestrian mall—so you should not encounter curbs and will only encounter minimal traffic—but will need to navigate brick walkways.
There will be ample time between sessions to travel between the venues.
We suggest you fly into Charlottesville Albemarle Airport (CHO) and take a cab to the Omni downtown. Plan on cab fare of about $25 each way.
Amtrak serves Charlottesville with a station (CVS) located at 810 West Main Street. The station is approximately 1/2 mile from the Omni hotel. Walking (especially with luggage) is not recommended. We suggest taking a cab or catching the Charlottesville Free Trolley, which runs approximately every 15 minutes.
We recommend edUi attendees park at the Omni hotel. Parking is complimentary for hotel guests and $6 per day for other edUi attendees (just remember to tell the parking attendant you’re with edUi).
- Omni Hotel [recommended] Free for hotel guests $6 for other edUi attendees
- The Water Street garage (closest to edUi Conference Central: Live Arts) is $16 per day
- The Market Street garage (closest to our workshop venue: CitySpace) is $20 per day.
Map of edUi 2016 Charlottesville Venues
View edUi 2015 in a larger map
Other Local Attractions
- Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello
- University of Virginia
- Kluge-Ruhe Aboriginal Art Collection
- Fralin Museum of Art
- Ash Lawn Highland – Home of James Monroe
- Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society